Testing the Audi A3

Source: https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/AUDI-A3-Sedan-5811_10.jpg




Upset at the turn of events in the day, I decided get distracted by driving to Audi to try out the Audi A3 Sedan. Audi, a brand that never resonates with me. A brand that I dislike. It is a bit of a dark side to me. But I forced myself to think out of the box to not always shortlist the usual suspects. The main reason is both the new Honda Civic 1.5 turbo and Audi A3 sedan cost similar. Similarly, a used 3 year old Honda Civic 1.6 and a 3 year old Audi A3 sedan would cost similar too. Hence, it got me curious.

Source: https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/AUDI-A3-Sedan-5811_9.jpg


The agent had ran out of A3 show cars. Hence, he directed me to a test drive unit. I climbed onto the driver’s seat and the waft of “new car” smell overwhelmed me. It is a snug cockpit with lots of nice touch surfaces. The agent described the car as I scan through the buttons. As I strapped on the seat belt, the agent got surprised.

“Eh, are we going for a test drive?” He queried.

“Yes. Can we?” I asked.

“Oh, hang on…let me arrange with security.” The agent responded in surprise.

He started calling someone on his phone and had a bit shuffling with the other party about paperwork.

“Alright, let’s go. We will sort out the paper work later on.” He shrugged and pointed to his phone.

I slide the steering wheel smoothly and gently step on the accelerator. The electric parking brake automatically released and it is off. The car felt very easy to drive and it seems to wrap itself around me. Much easier to drive then my current car. The power is gentle though. It seems to have a little less poke than my current Honda Civic, which was surprising to me. It rode smoothly on the road’s imperfections and I could barely hear any road noise. Just the distant growl from the little 1000cc engine up front.

The anger and frustrations that I had earlier in the afternoon, melted away as I drove the A3 along the roads. A smooth slide, a gentle prod, the car responded well and had a very polished feel to it.

Source: https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/AUDI-A3-Sedan-5811_9.jpg


The cockpit will was well appointed and the indicators stalks and controls are all well damped. I especially love that retractable screen which controls the A3’s infotainment system. The design of the cockpit basically ticks my box.




I began to think since I would be on the road often due to the nature of my teaching job. This would make a very nice mobile office for me as I go from student to student.

The downsides to it is I feel that driving an Audi would give people a wrong impression of me. Many would see me as a rich man with a fancy car. The optics that goes with owning such a car would be problematic. For no one would know that this Audi actually cost almost the same as a Honda Civic. When you drive a Honda, you are under the radar. Your finances does not show with it. Driving an Audi, a BMW or a worse a Mercedes Benz. The connotations are different.

Furthermore, Audi is associated with aggressive and selfish drivers in Singapore. I don’t want to be associated with one.

I love this car, but there is baggage with it. It is also smaller than a Honda Civic though I suspect it would be a more efficient car than a 1.6 Honda Civic.

Anyway, I left the Audi showroom with a good impression of the Audi A3 sedan and relieved of my earlier stress. It is quite strange for me to find refuge in an Audi…

Perhaps, this is the benefit of thinking out of the box and embracing what you tend to dislike.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/AUDI-A3-Sedan-5811_19.jpg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A friend lost...

I fell in love today..... With a Suzuki Swift Sport...

Running as a form of transportation